VIMBA is AVT's future-proof SDK for all current AVT cameras with GigE Vision and FireWire (IEEE 1394) interface.
- VIMBA uses the GenICam transport layer (GenTL) standard.
- To interface third-party software, VIMBA contains GenTL compliant transport layer producers for IEEE 1394 (only for Windows) and GigE Vision.
- VIMBA allows access on several API levels:
- The C API allows an easy migration from older SDKs.
- The C++ API is distributed as source code.
- On Windows, VIMBA also provides a .NET API.
- From version 1.2.0 onwards, VIMBA includes a Cognex adapter (for Cognex 6.0 or later).
- VIMBA is operating system independent. It allows application porting.
- VIMBA includes a viewer application.
- Windows XP (only 32-bit)*, Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)*
- Linux is supported on standard PC systems based on Intel-compatible 32-bit and 64-bit processors. Currently, only the GigE Vision transport layer is available. Tested distributions:
- Fedora 17
- Debian 6.0.7
- Ubuntu 12.4
- Support for QNX and OS X is planned. AVT's PvAPI (only for GigE cameras) has been ported to QNX and OS X and can be used to integrate AVT's GigE Vision cameras. AVT ensures product maintenance for PvAPI until 2016.
- On request:
On customer request and with verified commercial potential, AVT offers porting VIMBA to other real time operating systems, for example, VxWorks. In such cases, all tasks are carried out on a project basis, given that the customer has to provide:
- A hardware target (if required)
- All needed software and licenses
- A well-prepared tool chain, and
- Other necessary accessories for the development.
- AVT 1394 cameras (only Windows)
- AVT GigE Vision cameras
- VIMBA will support future USB3 Vision cameras
Windows: VIMBA v1.2.1, Release Notes
Linux: VIMBA v1.2.0, Release Notes
Installation Note for Windows:
There is no automatic upgrade procedure for VIMBA beta versions (v0.X.X) and VIMBA version 1.0.X.
If you already have installed one of these versions, please uninstall VIMBA manually via the Windows Control Panel -> Programs and Features before installing later releases.
* Windows XP and Windows 8: Before installing VIMBA, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 or .NET Framework 3.x must be installed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/cc378097 . Later versions contained in Windows 8 are incompatible.